One Day at a Time Takes on a Whole New Meaning…Part One

My motto this year is “One Day at a Time!”  For me, when I chose this, I thought it was for my weight loss journey…and it was…until last week.

On Monday, at 27 weeks pregnant, I went to my doctor’s office for the “fun” glucose test to see if I had gestational diabetes.  I was scheduled to only have a half day sub until a few days before when I decided to just go ahead and take the whole day.  I had lots of plans for things to get done after my appointment and I should be out of the office by 10:00 a.m. at the latest.

I got to my doctor’s appointment EXTREMELY stressed.  The trip over took forever and I was in traffic, afraid I was going to be late, we had some big things happening that day in my family and I was worried, stressed, and just a little anxious when I got there.

I was called back around 8:45 to drink the “dreaded” drink.  Which, because I was so thirsty (I am used to drinking lots of water when I wake up) was actually quite refreshing.  I got fruit punch at room temperature and chugged it like a champion.  I went back to the waiting room to be called for the rest of my usual check up things (blood pressure, temperature, pee test, etc.).

The nurse came and got me and took my blood pressure – this is where the “fun” begins.  It was super high.  Like 160’s over 100 high.  She had me go into an empty exam room and lie down for about 10 minutes and then retook it.  It had gone up!  Of course it had, she left me to sit there with all of my anxious thoughts…  They also found protein in my urine when I took the protein test.  The doctor came in with a solemn look on his face (he is NOT a solemn doctor).  He asked me what was going on, I told him how stressed I was.  He asked me what my plans were for the day and I said, “errands.”  He said, “Cancel them because you are going to Northside Hospital.”

I broke down crying.

All the stress of the morning, along with now having to go to the hospital sent me over the edge.  I asked him if I could please finish  my glucose test (by now there were only like 15 minutes left) and he said sure.  Then, I called my mom and asked her if she could go to the hospital with me.

Off we went to Northside Hospital for “a few tests.”

I will save you the drama of not having a clue what to do when we go to the hospital but all of a sudden, I found myself at the admissions desk having an admissions bracelet put on me, taken to a room, where they had me put on a hospital gown.  All of a sudden, reality hit me.  I was being admitted to the hospital.

I cried…again!

The lady who asked me a bajillion questions was super nice.  We bonded.  I kept telling her that I was leaving by the time her shift ended, 7 p.m.  It was around 11:30 a.m. at this point and my husband arrived with lunch for my mom and himself.  I ate some of theirs.  The afternoon was spent with a blood pressure cuff on my arm most of the day – my BP stayed high.  Blood was taken and they started me on a 24 hour urine test.  It is always fun to pee in a “hat” and dump it into a gas container looking thingy for 24 hours straight.  I had to do this for them to see how much protein I had in my urine over a 24 hour period of time.

I saw the doctor around 1:30 p.m. who basically told me they were worried I had preeclampsia.  It is very harmful for me and the baby and they needed to run lots of tests to see.  Blood was taken and then I was taken to Perinatal for a full ultrasound where they were going to check the baby.

Jen waiting for an ultrasound

My spirits were still high because I just knew all tests were going to come back normal and I was going home by 7 p.m…AND I got to see Delaney again…it had been over 7 weeks since I had seen that sweet face!

They did a full ultrasound…I mean FULL.  They checked her brain, her skull, fluid, spine, measured her and she now weighs about 2 1/2 pounds.  She is 100% average and we love it!  Everything about her was perfect!  We got some cute pictures like this one…

Delaney looking at cameraIn case you can’t ever see anything in these sonogram pics, her face is looking straight at us and it looks like she has a bubble on her head.  It almost looks like she is grinning.  Her forehead is to the left and her chin is to the right…did that help?  At all?  Didn’t think so…oh well…

And then there is this one…

Delaney's FootSweet foot!  I love feet…especially baby feet.  Not really nasty grown adult feet but baby feet are yummy!

We got to see her moving her mouth…she was drinking and her little chin was going up and down.  She definitely has my chunky cheeks (they run in our family…right Brian!).  I left the ultrasound room so happy and just knew they were going to let me go home to finish my urine test and I would get out of there by 7 p.m.


With all my test results coming back “normal” including the blood work, we were just waiting on my stupid blood pressure to come down and to finish my 24 hour pee collection.  I would be spending the night in the hospital with the hopes to go home tomorrow after the urine test came back with glowing reviews…well, as much as it could!

At this point, one day at a time was beginning to take on a whole new meaning.


Like this post? Share it!

About Jennifer Swafford

Jennifer is an elementary school teacher who is trying to lose 100+ pounds. She has certainly learned how much It Sux To Be Fat and is here to motivate you to live a healthy lifestyle.