This post is mostly for women. Fat or skinny…doesn’t matter. Men might relate to some of these things but since I am a woman, I can only speak for us.
I have been noticing things that I can do now that I couldn’t when I was obese. I have compiled a list of things that skinny people should not take for granted and people trying to lose weight should work hard to achieve their goals so they too can do these things. Here goes:
- Cross your legs when you sit down: For fat people, this is either impossible or extremely uncomfortable. Don’t take it for granted.
- Fit into an airplane seat comfortably: Yes, I know…we all hope to not get “stuck” next to a very large person on the airplane. Let me just tell you something, they are forty times more uncomfortable in that seat, with that seat belt, than you are sitting next to them. Give them a break and don’t take it for granted!
- Shop for clothes that “look good”: When I was overweight, I went for fit over style. If it fit, awesome. If it looked good AND fit, double bonus.
- Shop for clothes in regular store: See my previous post for more on this topic. Don’t take it for granted!
- Have employees smile at you and go out of their way to help you: Yes, I have noticed that employees in all kinds of stores are more helpful and friendly when you aren’t overweight. I am not the first person who noticed this one-it was my mom. She pointed it out to me that people were treating me differently since I lost weight. After she initially mentioned it, I started to notice and she was right…they acted differently. Don’t take it for granted.
- Being able to feel your bones in your body: All of a sudden, I have a collar bone, hip bones, and my sternum is very noticeable. It is cool and weird all at the same time. Don’t take it for granted.
- Walk up or down stairs without hearing every part of your knees groan in pain. I used to hear a popping sound in my knees when I would walk up or down stairs. Right before I started losing weight, I started to get knee pain. I knew it was time to do something when that happened.
- Go to an amusement park and fit nicely in all the rides: Have you ever tried to be squeezed into a ride at Six Flagsand “barely” fit? Well, I have and it sux! Don’t ever take it for granted.
- Being cold in the winter and hot in the summer: When I was heavy, I had one temperature-HOT and not hott-hot! I was hot in winter, summer, fall and spring. No matter what the temperature was inside or outside, I was hot. Don’t take it for granted!
- Being able to sleep in a room with another person without being harassed the next day for your snoring: I was a classic snorer. Every night, loudly, all the time. Just ask my husband-it was bad. Enjoy sleeping with husbands, friends, strangers, whoever without wondering all night if you are going to keep them up with your loud noises. Don’t take it for granted!
- Shave “down there” and actually see what you are shaving: I know, it sounds weird but trust me, when you are heavy, you just blindly shave and hope you get it all. How nice to be able to shave appropriately.
So, if you are thin and have never been fat in your life-Congratulations and please, don’t EVER take these things for granted.
Did I miss any? Please share some more thoughts in the comments section. I know there are more out there that I have forgotten about.