I have talked to you in the past on how exercise helps you lose weight. I don’t think it is the main component, I think watching what you eat is. But…exercise is important for overall health and well-being.
I am always looking for ways to get in a little MORE exercise. Little things we wouldn’t normally think of and consider “exercise.”
Here are a few ways we can sneak in a little extra activity:
- Take the Stairs – At my doctor’s office, there are stairs clearly next to the elevator. The doctor is ONE floor up. I have always taken the stairs because it is quicker than waiting for the elevator. When I was heavier, I would have never thought of taking the stairs – no matter how many floors up it was. When the option is there to take the stairs, try it. You just might like it.
- Park far Away – Instead of driving around the parking lot for the closest spot, intentionally park at the farthest spot and walk in. You will get the extra walk to and from the store so it will add double.
- Make several trips inside with groceries – If you are like me, you have groceries stacked all the way up your arm just to get it in the house in one load. In the past, I have left marks on my arms because I piled on such heavy bags. How about instead, we take one or two bags at a time just to get in a few extra steps?!? I am usually in too big of a hurry to take that long but it would be worth it to get in the extra steps!
- Do your own errands – Have you ever sent a kid on an errand for you? It might be one of your children, “Hey will you go get me ______.” It might be a student, “Will you run this to the office for me?” How about instead of sending someone, you do it yourself?
- Take the long way – No matter where you are going, take the longest route possible. There is always a longer way than what you are used to. Even if it is to the bathroom, you can go a long way to get there. Or, go to a bathroom farther away. I have one right across the hall from me and don’t normally have time to go to the farthest bathroom but if I have time, I will. Thank you Jason for that one!
I heard that Weight Watchers is coming out with a new tool to help keep you motivated and stay on track with your fitness goals. It is called ActiveLink. I am excited for this to come out and to try it. I just hope it is affordable.
No matter how you choose to get in a few extra steps, I want you to try this weekend to just do it. Make a conscious effort to walk a little farther than you normally do. You will be amazed at what you can do.
Tomorrow is Friday! Yeah! I have a guest blogger coming on and I am so excited to share with you what she has to say! I know you are going to love her!
Have a great Friday!